Staff Attorney Position
Based in Portland, Maine, the Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project (ILAP) is Maine’s only state-wide immigration legal aid organization. ILAP’s mission is to help low-income immigrants improve their legal status and to work for more just and humane laws and policies affecting immigrants. ILAP’s work includes direct legal services for over 3,000 clients each year; education and outreach to immigrant communities and service providers; and systemic advocacy on local, state, and federal immigration law issues.
ILAP is seeking a full-time staff attorney who will provide legal representation to low-income clients in a wide range of immigration matters. The attorney will also provide legal consultations, conduct legal intake for new clients, help supervise paralegals and legal volunteers, and participate in outreach activities as needed.
- Provide full legal representation to low-income clients in a wide range of immigration matters including VAWA, U, and T visa petitions, asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, family-based petitions, naturalization, and removal defense cases.
- Conduct legal consultations in person and by phone at ILAP’s office in Portland and periodically at a satellite location in Milbridge.
- Act as “attorney of the day” to assess new cases during intake.
- Help to train and supervise interns and volunteers and review their work product.
- Participate in outreach activities and collaborations as needed.
- Perform such other tasks and assume such other responsibilities deemed appropriate by the Legal Director or Executive Director.
- J.D. and member in good standing of any state Bar.
- Prior experience with immigration matters.
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical, research, and writing skills.
- Ability to multi-task effectively, including having strong detail-orientation, planning, and organizing skills; and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law or to working with low-income populations, and an ability to work well with individuals from different cultures and with varying levels of English proficiency.
- Spanish language skills strongly preferred. French, Somali, Arabic, or Portuguese language skills are desirable but not required.
Beginning salary is $48,000 or more depending on experience, with a competitive benefits package.
Send cover letter, resume and writing sample by e-mail to Sue Roche, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on April 30th and will continue until the position is filled.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY for well-established law firm with exclusive focus on immigration law, located in Portland, Maine. Prior immigration-related legal experience REQUIRED, along with a commitment to living and working in Maine. Practice offers a dynamic, collegial environment with a dedication to high quality, professional, personalized service across business-related, family-based, removal and all other areas of immigration. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to the field of immigration law, excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to stay organized, think critically and creatively, take initiative and manage a complex and varied caseload. Send cover letter, resume and a variety of writing samples to Practice Administrator, Landis Arn & Jaynes, P.A., 222 St. John Street, Suite 321, Portland, ME 04102 or an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “attorney position” in the subject line.